Skip to main content

Two Bridal Shower FAQ

 

Two Most Asked Questions Answered

Dear Polite One,

My cousin has been married three times and for each, I've given her a shower and wedding gift.  Am I obligated to give a shower gift for her fourth?

Empty Wallet

Dear Empty Wallet,

No, you are not obligated to give her either gift.  Those who have given shower gifts before are not obligated to give again.

Dear Polite One,

My wedding was canceled.  Since we used most of our shower gifts, may I keep them?

Oops!

Dear Oops,

I'm sorry about your situation, but these gifts were given in anticipation of your wedding.  So, it is expected that you return these gifts as they are.  Alternately, you could offer to pay for the items. 

Interesting Shower Tidbit

Most likely, the term "bridal shower" came about because of a tradition of placing wedding gifts inside a parasol.  The parasol was placed over the heads of the wedded couple and opened to a "shower of gifts" on them both.  Cute…but sounds possibly painful!

More From The Polite One

Bridal Shower Q & A: Multiple Parties & What to Give?

4 Tips to Prevent Bridal Shower Craziness

Are Bridal Showers Relevant for Today's Woman?


Comments