Skip to main content

Wedding Etiquette for Parents

parenting;child;angry child

The Good Wedding Guest

Since I’ve answered etiquette questions for decades, and because etiquette rules change as our lives become more and more complicated, I read extensively.  Visitors deserve more than the 'old fogey' that still thinks encore brides cannot wear white. 

Yet I do not know when, but do know why, more and more bridal couples are providing a room for the children of guests to be entertained during a wedding reception.  Just providing a babysitter is not enough in most cases, as children become bored, leave the room, and run around.  Not all guests appreciate being knocked over by a running nine-year-old. 

So, when did it happen?  When did parents decide that they are not responsible for their children's behavior? 

A little-known personal fact, I am a credentialed teacher.  Because of this, I look for every teachable moment and know that there are plenty when an adult is with a child.  Surprisingly, many parents do not realize that an event such as a wedding and reception is a Teachable Moment. 

This is an opportunity to teach children to respect others by instructing them to sit quietly during the ceremony, to use proper table manners, to stay in their seats and use indoor voices during the reception.  The beauty of the reception is that we, as parents, can also teach our children the art of introduction, conversation, and mingling. This type of event is a priceless teaching tool. 

Yet, many parents focus on the fun of the wedding reception and tend to feel that it is their child's right to use the venue as a playground.  They forget that they are also 'the teacher,' so I advise brides to plan entertainment for the child guest.  It saddens me to do so, but a stress-free wedding is what the bride wants and needs, not a platform for teaching children. 

That is my wish though, that parents use every occasion as a teachable moment for their children.  Please be the parent your child needs and deserves. Our next-generation depends on it.

Your thoughts?

More by The Polite One

What are MOG’s responsibilities?

May I invite guests only to the wedding?

Which is the bride’s side of the church?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 of the Most Asked Wedding Etiquette Questions Answered

After decades of answering etiquette questions, especially about weddings, I’d like to share a few of those questions that represent the majority of concerns.   Q: Is an invited coworker obligated to spend a certain amount? I'm going to both the wedding shower and the wedding. Should I buy both gifts off the registry? A: Unfortunately, yes. This is one of the biggest reasons I feel that the gift-less wedding shower is the smartest route for us to follow today.  Why should the couple receive more than one gift per guest?  It just doesn't make any sense and isn't fair to guests. Q : Registries feel so impersonal.   Is there any way to make it more personal? A: I honestly can't think of any way to make a registry more personal.  If a couple decides to register, they should choose items from the low end of the price range as well as the bigger ticket items, so the list doesn't appear to be a greed-fest.  Unfortunately, it can have th...

When and Where to Seat and Sit

Playing Musical Chairs With Parents Dear Polite One,   On the day of the wedding when it becomes time to seat the parents of the bride and groom, who sits first and last especially when dealing with stepparents? Me First Dear Me First , We have more parental issues to deal with these days than we did in the past.    In fact, more weddings are encore wedding than first, which reflects this trend.  So, to keep everyone happy and separate, we seat parents in this order:  Groom’s father and stepmother (third row); Bride’s father and stepmother (third row); Groom’s mother and stepfather (first row); Bride’s mother and stepfather (first row).   If everyone is on friendly terms, all parents may sit in the front row in the given order.  The stepparents follow the person escorting parents to their seats.   Sincerely, The Polite One Seating Chart Dilemma Dear Polite One,   I'm working ...

Oh Please Stop! A Wife is Not a Bride.

Serial Weddings for the Same Couple is Not Polite...or nice  “What’s the point?” Vicky asks her fiancĂ© when he suggests they marry privately in Barcelona and follow up with a formal affair back home.   Of course, in this movie, Vicky Cristina Barcelona , the reason for her question was a reluctance to say, “I do.”   But it is a valid question for all of us, as it isn’t logical and from an etiquette viewpoint is as improper as one can get.   However, with so many celebrity couples opting for multiple wedding ceremonies – to the same people – the average person might assume that this practice is now, not only the “popular” new expression of love but appropriate, which it is neither.   Basically, it is most impolite to guests who might consider this a real wedding and feel the need to give a gift.   This often results in guests, even family, viewing this as a blatant grab since a wedding is a gift-giving event and the vow renewal is not.   For those...